Series 'Christmas in Oaxaca', Ocotlan de Morelos, Oaxaca, 2009.
For the last couple of weeks Mauricio and I have been trying to get ourselves into the Christmas mood. I suppose my siblings might remember this time as what my sister has named my most 'Mexican Martha Stewart' time of the year. This name might have been brought on by my handing down orders on how and where to place ornaments on our tree... I can assure you I have changed my ways... hmmm, well, maybe only slightly...ja ja ja!
We have no tree this year. In fact there are no Christmas decorations hanging from anywhere.
We had originally thought of gathering with friends to bring in the Christmas cheer. Maybe do some sort of combo jumbo mix max gathering where we introduced a Charlie Brown's Christmas and the Who's from Whoville to our Oaxacan friends... I pictured ourselves drinking mezcal spiked eggnog, mingling, making Christmas felt decorations for our house plants as 'rocking around the Christmas tree' played in the background...
The gathering is currently in limbo... Maybe if we just wake up listening to our Christmas Mix on Pandora to get us over the BAHUMBUG mode... If only I could see my mother's nativity scene this year... or grandma who always uses old cake ornaments she has saved throughout the years and whose nativity scenes have mountains, deserts, valleys and streams where the Beatles, Mickey, and a few ballerinas skating in a mirror pond, live in perfect harmony...
We had originally thought of gathering with friends to bring in the Christmas cheer. Maybe do some sort of combo jumbo mix max gathering where we introduced a Charlie Brown's Christmas and the Who's from Whoville to our Oaxacan friends... I pictured ourselves drinking mezcal spiked eggnog, mingling, making Christmas felt decorations for our house plants as 'rocking around the Christmas tree' played in the background...
The gathering is currently in limbo... Maybe if we just wake up listening to our Christmas Mix on Pandora to get us over the BAHUMBUG mode... If only I could see my mother's nativity scene this year... or grandma who always uses old cake ornaments she has saved throughout the years and whose nativity scenes have mountains, deserts, valleys and streams where the Beatles, Mickey, and a few ballerinas skating in a mirror pond, live in perfect harmony...
Don't get me wrong, we have been trying our hand at getting into the spirit. So much so that Mau and I have gone through the usual American tv Christmas specials seamlessly: A Charlie Brown Christmas (Linus to Charlie Brown '...of all the Charlie Browns, Charlie Brown, you are the Charlie Brownest...'), Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (who can forget the island of misfit toys!), Frosty the Snowman (I confess... it was too darn boring and we couldn't go through with watching it...ja ja ja), ELF (first time I watch it... LOVED IT! Yes I heart Will Ferrel... ja ja ja!), 'The Grinch that Stole Christmas' (the cartoon of course!), and what would Christmas tv specials be without Ralphie and "A Christmas Story".
Alas, at the risk of sounding like Ebenezer Scrooge, we are here in Oaxaca still searching for a Christmas mood... Will let you know if we find it ;)
Very much around for the break:), are you going to come visit?!
ReplyDeleteAnd here's something to get you guys in the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrVPGi6i1g
WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Ja ja ja!!!!! I loved it so much I am going to have to make it part of todays post! Not coming to visit. Really don't want to go to Austin... Will call you though now that you have I hope a little more time :)
ReplyDeleteTe urge una posada! ;)
ReplyDeleteSi verdad?! Ja ja ja!
ReplyDeleteYes please do! Having the best Americano at Dolce Vita and thinking of you :)
ReplyDelete